Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Nothing is Ever for Nothing

There are no accidents in God’s economy. Nothing in your life, is ever for nothing.

When I was in 5th grade, I had a favorite teacher, Mr. Prock. Halfway through the school year he had to quit because of some vocal problems and we got another teacher. Mr. Huntoon was a great teacher too. I remember him every time I hear a French Horn. He was my introduction to that instrument, and I love that sound to this day. Mr. Prock and Mr. Huntoon were good friends in and out of school. We students enjoyed the benefits of that friendship in the wonderful plays and musicals those two came up with. 5th grade was a great year because of both of them.

In the fall of 2011, I suddenly wanted to find these great teachers. I found Mr. Prock via the internet. Google and Facebook are wonderful tools.  I was sad to learn that Mr. Huntoon passed away several years ago.

I still didn’t know why I needed to find them so badly, but it was nice to exchange a few emails with Mr. Prock and sort of catch up on his life. I loved being able to send him copies of some of my books, since he was such an influence on me as a child.

In November of 2011, I was asked to speak at a luncheon in Papillion, Nebraska. A friend of mine was scheduled to speak for them, but she had a conflict and referred them to me. There were several things that made it evident that God was bringing me to Papillion. Their brunch was beautiful, and we had a wonderful time.

A common practice for such events, is for the speaker to donate a prize for their give-aways. This time was no exception. I was happy to give them a couple of books, some of my ministry branded coffee, a mug and a totebag.  As prizes were given to the ladies, the hostess saved mine for last. A very sweet young woman named Rachel won the pack. I looked forward to meeting her and signing the books to her personally after I spoke.

It was very nice to visit with her and her mother at my book table. I felt very connected to them, like God wanted us to meet. But I had no idea why.

I gave Rachel my business card and told her to look me up on Facebook so we could stay in touch. She did. The first couple of weeks we were friends, I didn’t pay much attention to her last name. But tonight, as I scrolled through my newsfeed, it hit me. Huntoon. I wondered if she was related to the teacher I loved so much in the 1977/78 school year. I felt almost silly, that was in Oxnard, California. What was the chance that 34 years later, I would be speaking at a bruch with someone who knew Mr. Huntoon? Well, in God’s economy the world is not that big.

Not only did Rachel know him, she is his daughter.

And, on a day that she was feeling kind of low, she got a message from me on facebook. Telling her about my teacher named Richard Huntoon, and wondering if she knew him at all.

 I don’t know what God wants to do with this. But I do know that it was not an accident that Richard Huntoon became my teacher. It was not chance that took me to Papillion, Nebraska last month, and it is not happenstance that Rachel won that prize so that she and her mother would be sure to stop and talk after the event.

As I sit here, thanking God for His divine appointments, I am overwhelmed by the details and timing in this situation.  Even if the purpose was for Rachel to know that the legacy of her father lives on in those he touched with his music and his life. It’s incredible and humbling to be a tiny part of that purpose.

Don’t take anyone in your life for granted. You never know when God will take it and use it for His Glory, when you would have never given it a second thought.

I know this post is a little disjointed…but I am writing it just moments after Rachel and I discovered this divine connection. Tears are streaming down my face as I realize how much God loves Rachel and her mother, and how much God loves me. I should just know that right? Well, I thought I did, but His love goes beyond what I could ever ask or imagine.

Happy New Year Everyone. May God Bless You with Divine Appointments this year. 

3 comments:

  1. I can't even express all the feelings I've had tonight! One major point that drove home for me was that God was personally paying attention to me! My father's passing was very difficult for me, I was the youngest and I felt cheated. It made me very angry with God, and caused a riff in our relationship for some time. Being back with God for 1 year, I've questioned some things and still had moments when I felt distant. This evening showed me that God is looking at each of us individually! We are not just a group of people or a flock of sheep. I am that one sheep that wandered away and He came to find! He used you to show me how much He really cared! I am so Amazed right now and extremely thankful!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen Rachel. God does care, so much, personally. He loves you so much that he put me in that specific classroom when I was just 10 years old, so that I could learn about the French Horn and meet a terrific man, because he knew 34 years later that man's daughter would need to know she was loved personally by God. That is truly Amazing Love. Even this morning, I am overwhelmed by every detail...and I am also extremely thankful...and extremely blessed.

    ReplyDelete