Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Power Without Wisdom


Okay ladies, is there anything more romantic than a moon lit boat ride on the river? Just you and your husband, hand in hand, talking, floating, just enjoying spending time together? John and I were enjoying such an evening, floating down river with the engine shut off. We suddenly realized that it was 1 a.m. and we both had to get up for work the next morning. John fired up the Evenrude and started back toward the main channel. All at once we heard a loud thud and the boat took a swift turn left. It only took moments to realize that the thud was the sound a steering cable makes as it breaks. We were a few miles from the boat ramp with all the power we needed to get there, but no way to steer the boat. In the current of the Mighty Missouri River we were spinning in circles and drifting further down-river.
We cut the engine so that John could think and I began to pray. My mind was taken to our walk with the Lord. So often we want to use God’s power in our lives, but we don’t want Him to be in charge of the steering. Then we wonder how we end up spinning in circles or on the rocks. Direction from God is in the Wisdom he gives when we are willing to listen. That Wisdom is like our rudder that keeps us going in the right direction. 
One of the reasons I am wildly in love with my husband is his creative mind and the wisdom he exhibits in a crisis. He went into the water and straightened the rudder, then handed me one of the oars. Then he started the engine and took the other oar to the bow. With some teamwork and constant communication about our direction, we were able to steer to boat back to the dock and use a rope to pull it onto the trailer. From a broken state, we were saved from peril; oh how that spoke to my heart. I will never forget that power, without wisdom, is never a good thing. 
But to those who are called, whether Jew or Greek (Gentile). Christ is the Power of God and the Wisdom of God. 1 Corinthians 1:24. (AMP)


5 comments:

  1. What a great illustration. I know in my own life, when I find myself spinning out of control, it is usually because I have disengaged from His wisdom. That's when it's time to get back in the water and reconnect! Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Angela. I find the same thing...we sure need that steering cable. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Isn't it wonderful how God gives us the wisdom we need as His power is put into operation in our lives. Loved this. And what a great lure to capture attention to visit and read this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a poignant example of God's grace. Thank you for sharing, my friend.

    ReplyDelete