Saturday, August 13, 2011

I am a Fan of I AM


I have never seen anyone as fervent as a football fan. People become so passionate about their team that everyone around them knows that they are indeed a fan. Living near Kansas City has been a true education in all things chiefs, and for the past two summers, their training camp has been just a few miles north of our small town. Wow, talk about people excited to watch an exhibition.

 Like it or not, the red and gold sports fans are quick to tell anyone in shouting range that their team is the best, even when there season isn’t looking so good. They know the team statistics for coaches, players and formers. They are proud to be fans…even though the word fan is just a shortened version of fanatic.

As I thought about the loyalty of football fans I couldn’t help but make the cliché comparison between those in love with football and those of us who claim to be in love with Jesus. Does everyone around me know that I am passionate about Jesus? Am I really telling others that Jesus is the answer? Do I know the playbook? Every statistic I need is in the Word of God.

I had to ask myself, “Do I become defensive when someone calls me a fanatic?” Isn’t that what I am? I am a fan of Jesus Christ and what he has done for me. The Chiefs may or may not have a winning season, but Christians know who wins. Shouldn’t we be cheering for those who are running the field beside us as we each strive to be faithful as we reach the in-zone?

I remember meeting one of our former Chiefs players in the late 1990s. He was very nice. He is a good Christian man and has taken a stand for Christ on and off the field. It was a pleasure to meet him. However, more than 10 years after our meeting, I doubt he knows my name. Jesus is the name above all names, yet He knows mine. He knows my name and everything about me, and He loves me.

Yep, I am a fan. A Huge fanatic! I will shout it to anyone within earshot…Jesus Christ is the King of Kings! He is my Lord! And I will serve Him with all that I am.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment